Did you just spot a spider in your home, and now you are wondering what will happen if my dog eats a spider? Read on to get the answer!
Dogs are just like babies loyal, playful, and naive. They often don’t understand what’s good for them and end up putting everything in their mouths.
Spiders are among those insects that pet owners are especially worried about since most spiders are venomous. But what will happen if my dog eats a spider? The simple answer to this question is you don’t have to worry too much as most spider species are harmless to dogs!
However, there are some dangerous species that can harm them, so read on to learn all about them.
What Happens if a Dog Eats a Spider?
Most spiders are harmless to dogs, even if they bite it. Their venom is just not strong enough
However, it is hard for pet parents to identify which spider the dog has eaten or got bitten by because you cannot be around your dog at all times. And there are some spiders whose venom is strong enough, which we will discuss later.
So what should you do?
Figure Out What Kinds Of Spiders Have Your Dog Eaten
Spiders such as the black widow, hobo spiders, brown recluses, are among the spider species that are poisonous enough to be dangerous to dogs.
While America is home to over 2,500 species of spiders, most of them are harmless. However, if you find a spider from the above list in your home, we suggest you quickly kill it and call pest control to make sure you get them if there is an infestation.
Pet dogs can easily end up swallowing or getting bitten by such spiders. If your dog has ingested a venomous spider, then your dog can suffer from toxicosis.
What Happens After The Spider Bites The Dog?
The venom of a spider travels in the body through the skin. From the skin, this venom makes its way into the bloodstream of the dogs. Once this poisoned blood reaches vital organs such as the heart and the brain, these organs start to become dysfunctional.
If the dog’s immune system is strong and if the venom is not that potent, then it will be deactivated in the stomach. This venom will not be strong enough to affect all the vital organs during the digestion process.
You have to vigilantly monitor your pet for the next few days. If they show any signs such as vomiting or diarrhea, consult your doctor immediately.
Symptoms That You Should Be On The Lookout For
If your dog has eaten a spider from the list we gave earlier, then you need to monitor it for symptoms such as redness of the skin, skin irritation, muscle pain, and other symptoms. You also need to be on the lookout for serious symptoms including paralysis and difficulty breathing.
Can a wolf spider kill a dog?
Yes, wolf spiders are venomous and can kill smaller pets and even small breeds of dogs.
However, the saving grace here is that wolf spiders typically feed on smaller insects not large animals like dogs or cats. They will normally never see your dog as prey. That said, wolf spiders venom can be quite dangerous if your pet is older. It can cause paralysis and even death.
What would happen if my dog ate a black widow?
If your dog eats a black widow spider, it can be affected by a very toxic venom.
Black widow spiders have a potent venom that acts as a neurotoxin. Dogs bitten by black widow spiders may suffer from severe muscle pain, tremors, paralysis, vomiting, and so on.
Answer To Common Questions About Dogs and Creepy Crawlies
Do dogs eat spiders?
Yes, dogs do eat spiders for fun sometimes, but they treat them as toys more often.
You’ll find that most dogs treat spiders as a plaything rather than as a delicious treat. Occasionally dogs do eat them as well. If your dog accidentally swallows or plays with a regular spider, it is no big deal. Dogs should stay away from venomous spiders as they can be very dangerous to them.
What if my dog eats a spider?
Don’t be alarmed unless you see certain symptoms
Your pet dog might suffer from an upset stomach. In some cases, the dogs also start acting strange and weird. If you notice such changes, you should take your dog to a vet and get him or her checked immediately.
Dogs have a resilient immune system, especially against spiders. So unless a poisonous spider bites your dog, they should be fine. But if your dog starts acting dizzy or has difficulty in breathing, then you should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
How do dogs react to spider bites?
The reaction will depend on the size and breed of the dog, its age, and its health.
However, most dogs will show skin irritation, body pain, redness, or even some swelling. On the other hand, some dogs face severe symptoms like a weaker pulse, joint pain, an increase in heart rate, and so on.
What happens if my dog eats a cockroach?
Roaches are not poisonous, so unless your dog has an allergic reaction to them, they are likely to just get digested and then pooped out sometime later.
Can dogs eat lightning bugs?
Lightning bugs are poisonous. However, they don’t have enough venom to kill dogs.
Fun fact eating a firefly can cause a lizard or a cat some serious trouble, because they do have venom in them. However, for most dogs, fireflies are not poisonous enough to cause any major problems except for maybe an upset stomach.
A Few Final Words
Some spiders can be very harmful to your dog while most are not. So if you live in an area where it’s common to spot a spider then make sure you keep a close watch on your dog and its health.
We thank you for reading the article and hope we answered all your queries if you have other questions please drop them in the comments and we will get back to you.
You might like to read more of our articles on dog safety from common household dangers such as rawhide chew toys and gummy bears