What Happens If A Dog Eats Chalk?

If you have both kids and dogs in the house, or you are planning to put in a pool table, you can’t avoid chalk. But what happens if a dog eats chalk? Will it be dangerous for them? Let’s find out.

Dogs are curious creatures and can munch upon pretty much everything. If you have a dog and want to put a pool table in your house, you need to think over the quality of chalk that you are planning to buy. 

You can buy chalks as there are a variety of high-quality, non-poisonous chalks available that will not harm your dogs. It’s always a good idea to be cautious, though.

What Happens If A Dog Eats Chalk

Some pool chalk and sidewalk chalk have both been found to be poisonous to dogs. Some varieties of pool chalk are known to carry lead. Lead is harmful not only to dogs but also to humans.

If your dog inhales or ingests too much chalk powder, it can get into his nose and create difficulty in breathing. Dogs who eat too much chalk are also more prone to get diarrhea or vomit.

Can Dogs Consume Good Grade Chalk?

Since children commonly use chalks, good-grade chalk is non-poisonous. So, if your dog inhales or partakes a small quantity of pool or sidewalk chalk, he won’t suffer too much injury. 

Of course excess of anything is bad, and too much chalk can cause respiratory problems, stomach problems, and eye problems as we mentioned earlier.

Is Using Chalk On A Dog Safe?

It is entirely up to you whether you want to use chalk on a dog to color him. You can dye your dog’s fur using chalks, but you should make sure that the chalk used is not harmful for them.

Spray paint contains toxic components that might cause serious injury to your dog. You can occasionally color your dog’s fur with chalk if you are sure it is safe for him. You can use chalk powder made from organic sources if you plan to do so.

You can use dyes made from organic substances on your dog’s fur after mixing it thoroughly. Once you apply the dye, blow dry it and see the effect it has on the color of the fur. 

In all this, make sure that your dog doesn’t get his mouth or nose anywhere near the chalk. As we have already mentioned, eating and smelling excess chalk is hazardous.

What Happens If A Dog Eats Chalk

Does Chalk Cause Harm To Dogs?

Below are discussions about several chalks to help you determine whether or not they are harmful to your dog —

Gym Chalk:

Like other types of chalk, Gym chalk does not harm dogs. Again, a large quantity of this chalk, when inhaled, can become a problem. 

Gyms are full of the bacteria and parasites present in sweat. When gym chalk is exposed to these bacteria, it can absorb some of them. When your dog inhales some of it later on, these parasites and bacteria can make a home inside its respiratory tract too.

Hair Chalk:

There are a variety of good quality hair chalk brands that are marked as safe for dogs. You should not purchase any hair chalk without understanding whether it is safe for your dog or not. 

Sidewalk Chalk:

This contains fewer hazardous substances and has nearly no lead. Because children use sidewalk chalk, they are constructed with safety in mind. As a consequence, your dog will be unharmed by sidewalk chalk. 

Pool cue chalk:

The chalk used on pool cues is harmless to dogs. However, make sure your dog doesn’t overeat pool cue chalk. 

However, your dog must not ingest a huge amount and big pieces of chalks. It can result in diarrhea or vomiting in dogs. Your dog might also suffer from coughing or irritated eyes if some amount of chalk powder enters their eyes or nose.

What Happens If A Dog Eats Chalk

Is Chalk Harmful To Dogs If They Eat It?

Dogs can consume chalk if it is of high quality. White mountain clay chalk is edible and your dog can eat it without you having to worry about it. However, the chalk sold in stores is usually not that safe. These chalks may have harmful chemicals in them.

Aside from these, your dog might ingest chalk off the pavement, a pool, or a gym, among other places. But a small quantity of chalk in your dog’s stomach will not cause significant harm.

What If A Dog Eats Chalk?

Dogs are known to eat anything that comes in their way. And they can eat chalk in large quantities as they like its color and size. Consequently, dog owners are constantly concerned about whether and how much chalk their dog can consume. 

A dog owner must be conscious of the detrimental effects of ingesting chalk.

  • Respiratory issues
  • Stomach issues
  • Choking problems
  • Eye problems

Frequently Asked Questions

#1 What should you do if your dog eats chalk?

Chalk is not-poisonous and usually innocuous when consumed, which will please dog owners worldwide. 
Parts of the chalk can break down and create transient gastrointestinal issues, but that’s usually the extent of the problems—at least chemically.

#2 Why does my dog eat chalk?

As mentioned earlier, dogs are curious creatures and can eat anything that comes their way. They usually eat everything to taste it. In the case of chalk, they find it colorful, aromatic, and full of textures. Sometimes they eat things just due to boredom. 
If you have a small puppy in its teething age, you can expect it to chew on almost every hard and solid substance, and chalk is one such thing. In some rare cases, your dog might be suffering from Pica, where it tends to eat anything that is not meant for eating. 

#3 Is Crayola chalk toxic for dogs?

Probably not, even though you cannot be sure. Crayola’s website suggests you to talk to your vet in case your pet has ingested some of their products. They do mention that their products are harmless to humans, but they do not make such a claim about dogs.

#4 Is my dog suffering from Pica?

If your dog is regularly munching on everything, whether it is edible or not, it might be suffering from Pica. 
In the event of Pica, eating objects such as rocks, chalk, fabric, diarrhea, and plastic can cause gastric discomfort, vomiting, diarrhea, and, in the worst-case scenario, intestinal blockages. 
Limiting your dog’s access to non-nutritive objects such as plastic, rocks, and string is the most effective strategy to keep them from consuming them.

A Few Final Words

Chalks are not poisonous to dogs, but they should not consume in large quantities. If you are sure that your dog has ingested large chalk pieces in large quantities, then take your dog to the vet immediately.

Thank you for reading this article. We hope we were able to clear all your doubts about dogs and the various types of chalk that they can ingest and inhale. The golden rule is to make sure that they don’t get excess of it.

You might also like to read: What Happens If A Dog Eats Wax? And Can Dog Eat Wax Beans? To learn more about household things that are dangerous for dogs.