My Dog Ate An M&M Will He Be Ok?

My dog ate an M&M will he be OK? M&M’s are a form of white chocolate, so they are not as toxic as regular chocolate. However, they can still be dangerous. Read on to know more about it.

If you have a cute and fluffy pup, the chances are high that you’ve had to deal with finding M&M’s wrappers in your house. M&Ms are colorful, and they do attract dogs. But wait aren’t M&Ms chocolate? Won’t they be toxic to your dog?

Actually, M&Ms are made using milk chocolate and not dark chocolate. Hence, it is not very toxic to dogs unless consumed in very large quantities. A lot will depend on the size and weight of your dog and the number of M&M’s he took.

My Dog Ate An M&M Will He Be Ok

We have covered almost all the aspects of chocolates and why it is toxic for your dogs. And things that can happen if your dog eats excess chocolate. Take a look!

What If My Puppy Is Eating M&M’s Chocolates?

M&M’s contains white chocolate. So purely from a chocolate poisoning perspective, it may not be very dangerous. However, you must stop your puppy from eating M&Ms as these contain sugar, artificial colors, and many other ingredients that are not suitable for dogs. 

If your puppy is small and has consumed a generous amount of M&M, then you need to take your dog to the vet immediately. However, if he is big, like 25 pounds, there is nothing to worry about. 

Why Is My Dog Munching On M&Ms?

It turns out that there are some pretty good reasons why your dog may be munching on this sweet treat. The sugar from the candy can be addictive, which is why your dog may start craving this particular food as time goes by. 

The flavor of M&M’s chocolates can get your dog’s attention, too — it’s hard to resist a treat that screams “EAT ME!” But keep in mind that eating too many can also present problems. Excessive consumption of M&M’s can lead to several serious health issues, including diabetes.

How many M&M’s are toxic to dogs?

This depends a lot on the size of your dog, its breed and weight. One or two M&M’s are unlikely to be toxic to any dog, but even white chocolate does contain a bit of theobromine, so it’s best not to risk it.  You will need to take your vets view to understand how many M&M’s are toxic for your dog.

My Dog Ate An M&M Will He Be Ok

Why Is Chocolate Toxic To Dogs? 

It’s great to know that chocolate is a favorite for people of all ages. Unfortunately, it can be toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains poisonous substances called methylxanthines and theobromine, a chemical that can be lethal to dogs. 

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Pudding?

Dogs can’t eat chocolate pudding because it’s toxic to them.

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which dogs can’t process very well, affecting their heart and nervous system. There are many reasons why a dog cannot eat chocolate pudding. 

It is toxic, there is an area of their brain that controls the sense of taste, and also it affects their heart and nervous system. Dogs also do not have the mental faculties or the understanding to know that it is terrible for them even if you tell them not to! 

So if you’re tempted to share your dessert with your dog, think again- or at least make sure it’s in tiny amounts that won’t pose a big risk for them. Talk to your veterinarian to make sure you know how much to give your dog.

Dogs are not fans of chocolate pudding because it contains theobromine. It also affects their heart and also their nervous system.

Can Dogs Drink Hot Chocolate?

No, hot chocolate contains chocolate as well as caffeine, which are both bad for your dog.

Dogs are not permitted to consume hot drinks like coffee or tea because of their caffeine content. It’s always essential for your dog to stay hydrated and avoid drinking hot liquids, so it’s best to keep them from having access to your piping fluid. 

They should also avoid chocolate, as chocolate can be toxic for them and can cause vomiting and prove to be fatal.

My Dog Ate An M&M Will He Be Ok

How Can You Tell If Your Dog Has Chocolate Poisoning?

Drowsiness, lack of coordination or listlessness are the first symptoms that you should watch out for.

Chocolate poisoning is a complication that can come from consuming large amounts of chocolate. This type of poisoning can lead to vomiting, seizures, liver damage, and fluid in the lungs. Chocolate poisoning is often seen in dogs and cats. 

Signs of chocolate toxicity include

  • Listlessness
  • Lack of coordination 
  • Dilated pupils
  • Twitching muscles

If your dog shows these symptoms, treat them immediately! If not addressed quickly enough, chocolate consumption by dogs can lead to a life-threatening situation for your pet. 

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and can cause many different health problems. Chocolate poisoning symptoms include vomiting, loss of coordination, dilated pupils, and a weak gait. If you see these symptoms, it’s time to get your dog to the vet. 

Untreated chocolate toxicity can lead to: 

  • Seizures
  • Liver damage
  • Fluid in the lungs

Chocolate poisoning is often seen in dogs and cats. These are life-threatening conditions for your dog if left untreated. Dogs with a genetic predisposition to chocolate toxicity are especially at risk, so be sure and consult with your veterinarian if you have a dog that consumes chocolate or suffers from any of the symptoms above.

My Dog Ate An M&M Will He Be Ok

If your dog consumes chocolate, the sooner you get treatment, the better. If your pet has recently eaten chocolate, contact your veterinarian immediately. If your dog has consumed a large amount of chocolate, it’s best to call ahead to let the vet know you’re on your way. 

Be sure that you tell the vet what type of chocolate was involved and what shape it was in when your dog ate it. It is also helpful to bring in a sample of the chocolate. The only way to be sure that you have dealt with the problem effectively is to take your dog for a check-up right away.

What To Do If Your Dog Is Eating Chocolate? 

Here’s a small primer on what you should do if you suspect chocolate poisoning in your dog:

  • The first signs of toxicity in dogs include vomiting or diarrhea. Dog owners should be on the lookout for excessive drooling and slobbering, which also is a sign of poisoning.
  • The first thing to do is to call the pet poison helpline and your vet immediately.
  • Your veterinarian may need to determine what type of toxic chocolate your dog ingested. There are at least three types: chocolate made from cocoa beans that are not fully fermented, cocoa butter that contains toxic levels of theobromine, or dark chocolate with added flavoring. 
  • The three types have different effects on dogs, so your veterinarian will need to observe your pet’s symptoms before making a diagnosis. The higher the concentration of active poisons in the chocolate, the more severe the symptoms. 
  • Theobromine, the primary ingredient in toxic chocolate, can stay inside the dog’s body for several days after ingestion. 
  • That’s why your vet might need to keep your dog under observation for a few days. Call your vet and tell her what happened and where you can be reached. If possible, take some of the chocolate along with you for identification purposes.
My Dog Ate An M&M Will He Be Ok

A Few Final Words

In the end, we can say that chocolates are not safe for dogs but if they have consumed milk chocolate in moderate quantities then there is nothing to worry about. But keep your dogs far away from dark chocolates.

Thank you for reading the article, we hope we answered your questions about M&M’s and other types of chocolate. You might also like to read about: Can You Use Cocoa Butter On Dogs? And Can A Pet Dog Get High By Blowing Smoke In Their Ear?