We have reviewed the best eco-friendly cat litters. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
As a cat parent, cat litter is a necessity in your home. Cats are quite fussy about their bathroom habits so keeping your cat’s litter box up to their standards is very important.
According to a national pet owners survey, approximately 95.6 million cats live in households in the United States in 2017. That’s a whopping number, and if each of those kitty’s has a litter, we are looking at a massive pile of, well, you-know-what.
Now that we know the numbers let’s also face a harsh reality – not all cat litters are eco-friendly. Much of it is made from bentonite clay (the clumping clay that locks in the urine and is easy to scoop). Bentonite clay is created using a process called strip mining, which is extremely destructive to the earth.
Thankfully, eco-friendly options are available, which are made from biodegradable materials like corn, grass, or recycled material such as newspapers. Let’s have a look at the most environmentally friendly cat litter.
Our Top Choice – PURINA Yesterday’s News Paper Cat Litter
The Purina Yesterday's News Non Clumping Paper Cat Litter, Unscented Low Tracking Cat Litter - 30 lb. Bag is our top choice for Best Eco-Friendly Cat Litters.
This litter is made with recycled paper, making it an eco-friendly option for cats and their owners. It absorbs 3 times the moisture as compared to traditional clay litter, making it convenient for you to clean it out. It is also unscented, no chemical fragrances (which can be environmentally dangerous) are used in this cat litter. Despite this, it delivers effective odor control and is dust-free with low tracking.
Its best features are:
- This litter is made from recycled newspaper bits, and is safe for both your cat and the environment.
- The non-abrasive pellets created in the litter are easy on furry feet.
- There is very low tracking in this litter with no small particles which keep floors clean.
- It absorbs 3 times the moisture as compared to traditional clay litter for cats.
- 99% dust-free, and there is very little cloud when changing the litter.
- The odor control formula gives effective odor control with no added fragrance.
- It comes in handy packs of 13 to 30 pounds so that you can choose the size that you need based on the number of cats in your home.
Most Environmentally Friendly Cat Litter
#1 PURINA Yesterday’s News Paper Cat Litter
This cat litter is the best alternative to harmful clay cat litters. It is made out of environmentally friendly recycled paper. This cat litter is ideal for your cats and also for the environment.
It is 99 percent dust-free and does not leave any tracking in the home. The recycled paper helps absorb moisture three times as compared to clay-based litters and does not contain any harmful materials.
The non-abrasive pellets formed in the litter are easy on the cat’s paws. This cat litter delivers effective odor control. No chemical fragrance is added to the material, which makes it even both environmentally safe and good for the cats.
- This clumping paper litter is made with environmentally safe recycled paper.
- The soft pellets are easy on your kitty’s feet.
- This cat litter absorbs three times more moisture than clay-based litters.
- Effective odor control keeps your house free of foul smells.
- This paper litter is 99% dust-free that leaves low tracking and low dust clouds.
- Available in sizes from 13 to 30 pounds
- For some users having to toss out all of the litter after a week or two might be a hassle.
- It can be hard for the cat to bury its poop.
You might also be interested in reading: Top 5 Best Non-Clumping Cat Litters 2020
#2 Naturally Fresh Cat Litter
Naturally, Fresh Cat Litter is a natural cat litter made of walnut shells. These organic walnut shells are completely safe for your pets, as well as being eco-friendly. Moreover, this litter has superior odor control
This litter absorbs three times better than clay, pine, and corn litters. This naturally fresh litter works on a quick-clumping formula that is easy to scoop. Since the litter is made from walnut shells, not clay, you can easily compost them as well.
The naturally fresh litter is free from any silica dust. This product also has very little dust and therefore does not track through the house, keeping both you and your kitty feeling fresh and happy all day!
- Walnut shell-made litter is a safe option for your cats and the environment.
- This litter absorbs three times better and allows for easy clumping.
- The odor control formula makes this litter easy on your nostrils.
- It is made without harmful chemicals, which makes it safe for your cats.
- It is free from silica dust so your cats can breathe easily.
- The litter is available in bags of size 6, 14 and 26 pounds
- As per some user’s experience, it is difficult to clean this litter.
- Some users mentioned that it produces a bit of dust.
#3 Purina Tidy Clumping Cat Litter
Purina Tidy Clumping Cat Litter is a natural cat litter for your little kitty friends. This litter includes ingredients like cedar shavings, pine shavings, corn cob, and guar gum, therefore it is a completely natural product.
The strong clumping action of this litter makes scooping easy, even for multiple cats. The odor control formula locks smell and includes instant action with moisture-activated odor trapping power to control tough odors.
The natural cedar and pine smell keep the litter fresh. The formula provides ten-day odor control and prevents ammonia odor for upto seven days. The highly absorbent formula is designed for the cat’s comfort. This helps in forming lightweight clumps.
The litter clumping formula is 99 percent dust-free. Therefore it helps in providing clean paws and is less tracking throughout the house.
- Natural clumping design helps in the easy cleanup of clumps.
- The litter is made with natural cedar, pine, and corn, making it an eco-friendly litter.
- Odor control formula fights with the toughest odors.
- Clumping dust-free formula provides 99 percent dust-free properties.
- Strong clump action forms strong clumps in the box for easy removal.
- Natural materials help to prevent ammonia odor for seven days.
- Glade formula gives pleasant smell and controls tough odors.
- Available in 7.5 and 12 pounds packets.
- Some users mentioned that clumping in these litters is not easy.
- Some users said that the artificial perfume smell that’s added to the litter is not very comfortable for them.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Cat Litter To Control Odor.
#4 Garfield Cat Litter
This eco-friendly litter is a safe choice for your pets and the planet. This cat litter is made of natural corn and cassava and is a tiny grain litter designed for your pet care.
This litter is good for instant clumping, and so it is ideal for multi-cat homes. The litter is biodegradable, so you can scoop the clumps and use them as compost.
The extra-fine texture of these litters makes it appropriate for diseases like feline allergic bronchitis and pemphigus foliaceus. The white color helps you track changes in the color of the cat’s urine so that you become aware of any problems at an early stage. It is also ideal for cats with a feline allergy because of its natural material as this litter is scent and chemical-free.
The odor elimination properties of cassava keep your home free from ammonia odor. This natural litter can form fast clumps without risking stains. Its dense design aids in reducing tracking and makes it extra soft on your kitten’s paws.
- Natural litter aids in quick clumping because of its natural material.
- Eco friendly, made from natural corn and cassava
- Extra fine grain design makes this litter comfortable for your kitty’s paws.
- Its natural ingredients help in odor elimination and prevent artificial fragrances.
- The dense grain is designed for reduced tracking.
- Litter is ideal in creating scoopable clumps and is easy to dispose of.
- The litter can be used with cats who have feline allergic bronchitis and pemphigus foliaceus.
- The white color of the grains gives you an early warning if the cat’s urine color changes.
- The weight of the packet is 10 pounds.
- Some users mentioned that cleaning might take time.
- This litter is not easily flushable, some users commented.
#5 Good Earth Natural Litter
This Good Earth litter is made of natural grass without adding any harmful chemicals. The grass litter is completely natural and yet 100% effective for your pets while being good for the planet as well.
This litter works as fast-acting moisture-absorbing litter. It quickly absorbs the moisture and blocks odor-causing bacteria.
This litter has unbeatable clumping power as it makes clumps in seconds and removes the feces and urine almost immediately. This litter is gluten-free, and 99 percent dust-free and is safe for both pets and the environment.
- One hundred percent made of grass litter, good for your pet and the environment.
- An excellent moisture-absorbing litter with good clumping power.
- Multi-cat odor control fights with odor-causing bacteria.
- This litter is dust-free and ensures full safety of pets.
- It is gluten-free and helps in easy clumping.
- 10 pounds packet ideal for refilling the litter box several times.
- Few users mentioned that this litter is difficult to clean.
- Some users experienced foul odor at home even after using this product.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Cat Litter For Declawed Cats.
#6 Rufus & Coco Cat Litter
Rufus & Coco Cat Litter is a biodegradable corn made cat litter which is safe for cats and the environment. This clumping technology litter is flushable as it breaks down when immersed in liquid, making it easy to dispose of.
The litter works with powerful odor control technology. It helps to control tough smells in your home. The litter absorbs six times faster than paper and four times faster than wood, which aids in quick cleaning. Moreover, it forms solid clumps with minimal dust, which is easy to flush. The low tracking dustless pellets keep the floor clean.
- 100% Biodegradable corn litter is ideal for your cats and planet.
- The clumping technology litter is flushable as it breaks down when it is immersed in liquid.
- Powerful odor control technology helps to control tough smells easily.
- It forms solid clumps with minimal dust, which is easy to flush.
- Low tracking dustless pellets help in better odor control.
- This litter absorbs four times quicker than its weight.
- It weighs 8.8 pounds hence, ideal for several refills.
- Some users mentioned that the cleaning of this litter is tough.
- Some users found the product to be a little expensive, which doesn’t last long.
#7 ökocat Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter
ökocat Natural Wood Litter is a next gen plant-based litter which is clean, healthy and completely eco-friendly.
This cat litter has natural wood fiber, which stops creating ammonia & odor by preventing enzymes from combining with liquid & waste. The litter absorbs liquid and forms solid clumps that can easily be cleaned.
It is a 99% dust free cat litter. The wood fiber is specially screened & de-dusted again for a cleaner pour. This litter will not put any dust in your home.
Apart from these features, this litter has no artificial fragrance or chemicals; it doesn’t use any toxic dyes or GMOs. Therefore it is the ideal litter for both your pet and the safety of our environment.
- Natural wood fiber-based litter, completely eco friendly and biodegradable
- Zero odor – the wood fiber prevent liquid and waste from combining with enzymes
- The litter absorbs liquid to form solid clumps, which can be scooped out easily.
- 99% dust-free, low tracking litter
- No artificial chemicals, fragrances or dyes, no GMO’s and completely safe for your pet
- Comes in three sizes-small, medium and large
- Several users have complained that the seller has been raising the price of this product exorbitantly
- It is a fine litter. Therefore a little dust is to be expected.
You might also be interested in reading: Best Cat Litter Without Dust.
Buyer’s Guide: Most Environmentally Friendly Cat Litter
Before buying a cat litter that is safe for your cats and the planet, you must consider the following features.
Material plays the most significant role in determining eco-friendly cat litters. One must choose cat litters made of biodegradable material like grass, paper, and are plant-based as the natural ingredients make these litters good for cats and the environment.
It would be best if you considered the dust-free properties of cat litters before buying them. The dust-free litters won’t circulate in the air. Moreover, it won’t cause unnecessary allergies to your cats.
A good eco-friendly cat litter is one that helps in quick clumping. It would be best if you chose eco-friendly cat litters as they are made with quick clumping technology. They clump properly and are easy to remove.
It would be best if you looked for litters that work on tough odor control technology. This technology fights with even the toughest odors to keep the surrounding odor-free and eliminates them without using harsh chemicals.
Frequently Asked Questions: Most Environmentally Friendly Cat Litter
What is the safest cat litter to use?
The safest cat litter is one that is made of natural and environmentally friendly material. Such litters are free of chemicals, clay, and perfumes. They help in absorbing liquid quickly and keep your home clean as well. Moreover, the litter should be either biodegradable (so that you can compost it) or else easy to flush, so that you can dispose of it without any hassles.
How often should cat litter be changed?
It is recommended to change a cat litter twice a week. However, it may depend upon usage and the number of cats that you have. If you clean your litter box daily, you might only need to change clumping litter every two to three weeks.
Can cat litter make cats sick?
Certain cat litter contains silica dust and sodium bentonite, which may become harmful for your cats as it may cause several respiratory issues. Therefore, it is advisable to use eco-friendly cat litters, which are made of natural ingredients.
As proud cat parents, we love our cats and do everything to keep them clean and comfortable. However, this comfort should not come at the cost of the environment. Traditional clay litters are made of sodium bentonite, which is extremely harmful to the environment because of the strip mining process from which it is made.
In this article, we have selected the most environmentally friendly cat litter that is made from recycled papers, corn, cassava, walnut shavings, and other naturally occurring and biodegradable materials.
In our opinion, the Purina Yesterday's News Non Clumping Paper Cat Litter, Unscented Low Tracking Cat Litter - 30 lb. Bag is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is not only is it made from recycled newspaper, it is 3 times as effective as regular clay litter for absorbing cat urine, and has very low dust and tracking as well.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Purina Tidy Cats Natural Clumping Cat Litter, Pure Nature Cedar, Pine & Corn Cat Litter - 12 lb. Bag, which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
Please read our other articles on different types of kitty litter.
Top 5 Best Non-Clumping Cat Litters 2020
Best Cat Litter To Control Odor
Best Cat Litter For Declawed Cats
Best Cat Litter Without Dust