Do you know how to potty train a Bernese Mountain Dog Puppy? Learn all about it here in this ultimate guide that we have created just for you and your favorite furry friend
Potty training your pup or an adult dog you just adopted is very crucial. Potty training is the first step for any other training.
The process does not differ with breeds and is mostly the same for all breeds of dogs. So, let’s find out how to potty train your Bernese mountain dog.
A Little Information About A Bernese Mountain Dog
A mountain Bernese dog is one of the five breeds of dog from the swiss alps and was called Sennenhund dogs.
Like any other breed of dog, a Bernese mountain dog is an affectionate and loyal being. It can make a good companion for you and your family.
They are large breed dogs with a relatively more minor life span that ranges from 6 to 8 years.
They are intelligent breeds, so you need to provide a lot of mental stimulation; otherwise, they will chew on things or find another mischief to stimulate their genius mind.
It would help if you started training your Bernese pup as early as 40days to efficiently potty train him and train him in other basic obedience training.
How To Potty Train A Bernese Mountain Dog Puppy
When you get a puppy, you need to make a few critical decisions before training your puppy. You can either train your puppy to a potty or toilet inside your bathroom or outside the backyard or on a walk.
First, you need to understand that having a puppy needs a lot of patience and work. Before even starting to train, you need to observe their timing of peeing keenly.
Puppies have a lot of energy, so they run around a lot, and some puppies even bark a lot. Hyperactivity makes them thirsty, and so they drink a lot. Long story short, they are more often than you would imagine.
Here are few steps to follow to effectively potty train your Bernese mountain puppy
Potty Training Your Puppy At Your House Bathroom
House training your puppy is the easiest. Later in your life, you would not need to carry garbage bags or have the liability to walk your dog several times even if you are sick.
But house training your pup has some disadvantages as well. If you move out of your house or go on a vacation, you have to toilet train him all over again to the new bathroom. But the time is taken would be far less than the first time.
Here are the few steps to follow to potty training your puppy at your house bathroom
- Make a schedule for taking your puppy to the bathroom. It ideally should be every thirty minutes.
- Make a “shhh” sound every time to help your puppy understand it as a hint to pee.
The cue will also help if you change home and move in somewhere else.
- Take your puppy to your bathroom after he naps, or lock him in the bathroom for five minutes after he wakes up, as there is more than a ninety percent chance of peeing after your nap wakes up from a nap.
- Please do the same thing after he has his meal, or you see him drink a lot of water.
- Observe your puppy. If you see your puppy sniffing around, take him to the bathroom. As dogs instinctively sniff around before releasing themselves.
- Put the wiper that you used to clean his pee in the bathroom so that he can sniff towards the wipe and understand what the right place to pee is.
- Wherever your puppy pees or potty in your bathroom, praise him, reward him with treats or toys. In simple words, celebrate that moment. All dogs love to see their owner rejoice, and if they understand what makes you happy, they will do that.
- Continue to follow these steps and stick to a strict schedule. Try maintaining a routine for his meals as well. All these small things go a long way in making your puppy confident and obedient.
Potty Training Your Puppy At Your Backyard
The steps for potty training your puppy in the backyard are similar to that of the house training. Yet, there are few specific details to follow.
If you want to potty and toilet train your Bernese puppy in your backyard, take him to the backyard instead of your bathroom. Keep the pee cleaning wipe in your backyard.
Whenever your puppy pee inside your house, clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the smell. Vinegar is a less effective alternative to the enzymatic cleaner.
It is essential to get rid of the smell correctly, as dogs have a much higher capacity to identify a smell. It is possible that he would repeatedly pee at the same place if not cleaned properly.
Potty Training Your Puppy Outside
Potty training your dog outside would prove convenient in the future, even if it is a lot of work initially.
At first, you should not take your puppy outside before he gets his first set of vaccines. So, it would be best if you created an environment inside your home that would mimic the outside terrain.
The most popular method is to use pee pads. The steps given below could help you to potty train your puppy outside.
- Set up a box large enough for your pup to sniff around and pee. Cover the box with pee pads.
- Whenever you think he might pee, allure him into the box. Keep the cleaning wipe into the box.
- Reward him whenever he pees inside the box.
- Follow a schedule and repeat all the steps mentioned above for bathroom training.
- After, your puppy is vaccinated. Take him outside as often as you can. You should take him outside after and before every meal. You should also take him outside right in the morning and at night before going to bed. Try to take him outside after every nap as well.
- Reward and praise him whenever he releases himself at the right place outside.
Answers To Some More Question About A Bernese Mountain Dog
Are Bernese Mountain dogs easy to house train?
Yes, Bernese mountain dogs are smart dogs who love to learn new things. You need to have little patience and consistency to house train your dog efficiently. Please their owner.
Are Bernese Mountain Dog puppies hard to train?
No, Bernese mountain dogs are a type of Sennenhund dogs who are known for their intelligence. You can quickly train your pup at home, even without help from a trainer.
How do you crate train a Bernese Mountain puppy?
Make the crate a happy place for him. Praise him when he is in the crate, and reward him with treats and toys. After you put him in his crate, sit by the crate and give him your undivided attention. In the beginning, keep him for a short period and gradually increase the time.
What is the fastest way to train a puppy?
The fastest method to potty train your puppy is to house train him. House training your puppy is the easiest and fastest method for potty training your puppy.
Key Points To Remember While Potty Training A Bernese Mountain Dog
Consistency and patience is the key to potty train your puppy. It is crucial to use only positive reinforcement while training your puppy.
Training is practical when you reward your pup instead of punishing him. Negative reinforcement that is punishing your dog if he pees in the wrong place is not suitable.
Negative reinforcement could damage your relationship with your dog, make him nervous and sometimes aggressive.