How Much of Ivermectin Paste To Give A Dog

Ivermectin is a heartworm preventive. In paste form, it is meant for horses and not dogs. So the answer to “how much of ivermectin paste to give a dog” is simple: none! Read on to know what is a safe dosage of ivermectin for dogs.

Dogs can suffer from heartworm disease if they are exposed to mosquitoes. This condition spreads rapidly in dogs. Heartworm disease is a deadly condition, and pet owners are very concerned about avoiding and preventing this disease from affecting their dogs. 

If your dog catches this disease, then his or her life expectancy will be reduced, and some of its organs might not function properly. More than a million pets in America are affected by this condition. 

How Much of Ivermectin Paste To Give A Dog

Although this disease is deadly, it can be prevented with proper care, vigilance, and preventive medication. Ivermectin is a medicine that is effective in preventing heartworm disease. 

This medicine also comes in the form of a paste which is designed for horses and cattle and not suitable for dogs. Pet owners have a lot of doubts regarding how to administer this medicine and how much it should be administered. This article will look to answer this question.

How Much Ivermectin Paste To Give A Dog?

You should never give Ivermectin 1.87% paste to your dog. It’s meant for horses and cattle.

Ivermectin is a common heartworm preventive medicine that kills all kinds of parasites in dogs. However, Ivermectin paste (1.87%) is designed for horses and cattle; it has a high concentration of medicine. You will have difficulties measuring the paste accurately, which can cause an overdose. 

Vets suggest that dog owners can instead give their dogs one pill of Ivermectin in a month. The dosage of this pill is six micrograms of Ivermectin per kilogram of the dog’s weight. Refer to the table below for the correct dosage:

Heartworm6 microgram per kg
Sarcoptic mange300 microgram per kg
Demodectic mange400-600  microgram per kg

You’ll need to administer different doses of Ivermectin for various conditions. For instance, if your dog weighs 50 kilograms, then you’ll have to feed him or her with 300 micrograms of Ivermectin medicine. If you wonder whether Ivermectin can be toxic to your dog, then the answer to this question is explained below.

When Does Ivermectin Turns Toxic?

Dogs with mutated MDR1 or ABCB1 genes can be poisoned with doses as low as 100microgram per 1 kg of the dog’s weight.

Ivermectin can kill parasites in the dog’s body, but if this drug is given in a large quantity, it can turn into poison for the dogs. 

Most dogs can tolerate 2000 micrograms of Ivermectin per kilogram of their weight. A dosage greater than this can result in an overdose. 

However, there are certain dogs that have a mutated gene MDR1 or ABCB1, which are more susceptible to poisoning. In such cases, 100microgram per kilo weight of the dog is sufficient to cause poisoning. The dogs can suffer from various neurological symptoms due to the overdose of Ivermectin. 

How Much of Ivermectin Paste To Give A Dog

What Are The Symptoms Of Ivermectin Overdose? 

Some visible signs or symptoms of Ivermectin overdose can be very disconcerting. You may notice the pupils of your dogs get dilated or excessive drooling and instability in your dog.

If your dog is suffering from severe toxicity of Ivermectin, then they could even have paralysis in their legs. It can even result in seizures or tremors. In some cases, pets are also put into a coma due to this overdose. 

Below is a complete list of symptoms:

  • Dilated pupils
  • Vocalization
  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Anorexia
  • Depression
  • Disorientation
  • Ataxia (balance impairment)  
  • Dementia
  • Slowed heart rate
  • Tremors
  • Hypothermia
  • Drunkenness
  • Recumbency (frequent reclining, leaning, or resting)
  • Blindness
  • Drooling
  • Slow breathing
  • Coma

Can A Shock Collar Cause Seizures In Dogs?

Yes, a shock collar can cause seizures in dogs. 

You should not use shock collars to train your dogs. Even though the intensity of the shock from these collars is pretty low, they can still leave a scar on the dog both physically and psychologically

Shock collars can change the heart rate and damage the lungs if your dog is sensitive to shocks. Shocks can also trigger seizures in dogs; you should not teach your dogs something forcefully. Veterinarian organizations across the world discourage the use of these devices.

Lastly, there is no evidence that these methods have produced any better results than regular training. So being friendly and patient with your dog can give you a more humane and efficient way to train them without any force. 

How Much of Ivermectin Paste To Give A Dog

How to take the dog on ATV?

Install a dog seat, and get eye protection as well as rain, wind, and dust-proof clothing.

Riding on an ATV can be very exciting for dog owners. Dogs also find riding outdoors to be very fun and relaxing. Outdoor activities together can act as stress busters for you and your dog. You can use some unique dog-friendly ATV accessories available. 

To keep your canine companion comfortable, you can attach a special dog seat to your ATV. There are a variety of seat styles available in the market that will suit your needs. 

Other things that you should take care of are eye protection (goggles), rain, dust, and wind protection clothing, and of course, training the dog a bit to balance on the ATV. 

To do this, you can start by training them to balance themselves at very slow speeds, giving them a treat when they do a good job, and then slowly increasing speeds, all the while encouraging them.

What If The Dog Swallowed Porcupine Quills?

Porcupine quills are incredibly dangerous. You need to go to the vet immediately.

Porcupine quills are super sharp; they can pierce your dog’s skin better than the vet’s needle. More importantly, these quills have backward-facing barbs, which cause significant damage when you try to pull them out. Lastly, the tip of the quill easily breaks off and stays inside the dog. For these reasons, you should never attempt to take the quill out yourself.

How Much of Ivermectin Paste To Give A Dog

If your dog has swallowed porcupine quills, then you need to visit a vet. The vet will sedate the dog use special tools to pull out the quills without causing damage. Your doctor will need to give your dog a shot of antibiotics to prevent infection among the dogs. 

In some cases, where the dog might have swallowed a porcupine quill, it might fall sick. If your dog vomits out the quill, then it is very good; otherwise, you will have to visit the doctor. 

Where To Buy Pigeons For Dog Training?

Pigeon training for dogs is extremely cruel for the poor birds. We do not condone this activity.

You might have heard of pigeon training for hunter puppies, it is very cruel for the bird, and this kind of activity is not supported by us. 

There are several dog training companies and hunter forums that offer you the option to purchase pigeons for your dogs. Pigeons are generally ideal for training hunting dogs. Dogs will learn how to hunt and take cover while running after the dogs.     

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I give my dog ivermectin paste?

Ideally, you should not give your dog Ivermectin paste. This paste is sticky and difficult to measure precisely. There is a huge risk that you might overdose on your dog with this paste. Overdosing can be very harmful to smaller dogs as this paste can poison them. The Ivermectin paste is suitable for bigger animals. 

How do you give dog ivermectin?

You can extract the medicine or the liquid from the bottle in a syringe and then give a shot to your dog. Or you can also go for Ivermectin pills and capsules to feed your dog. 

A Few Final Words

Ivermectin is a strong drug used to kill all kinds of parasites and heartworm. This drug is very strong and potent, and you must administer this medicine very carefully and precisely. However, you must not give Ivermectin paste to your dog.

Thank you for reading this article; we hope we answered everything you were looking for and if you have more doubts, please write to us in the comments so that we can answer them.

We have also written about other medicines such as Frontline, Bactine, and other heartworm preventives, which you should definitely read about.