In this article, we have compared the Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan for dogs, based on the nutritional and other benefits of each.
Did you just bring a puppy home and are confused about what to feed him? Are you worried that your dog is not getting proper nutrients? Dog food is the answer.
The history of dog food goes back to the 1800s when James Spratt, an American businessman, came up with making dog biscuits and selling them to urban dog owners.
Every dog has different nutritional needs. Dog owners can feed fresh home-cooked meals, raw food, or packed dog food.
Most dog owners provide dry or wet dog food to their dogs because it fulfills dogs’ daily nutritional requirements. With several options in the market, choosing dog food seems like a task.
We have used several parameters to compare two of the best dog food brands Eukanuba and Purina Pro Plan. This article will help you decide the suitable diet for your dog in the battle between Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan.
You might like to read: Best Dog Food For Elderly Dogs
About The Brands: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
Eukanuba is a top dog food manufacturer established in 1969 by Paul Iams. They offer a large variety of dog foods with meat and grains. Eukanuba has high-quality meat protein with sufficient carbs to ensure the healthy growth of your dog. With an extensive range of nutrients, Eukanuba aids in your dog’s overall development with better health.
Purina Pro Plan
The Purina Pro Plan has a much more extensive history going back to 120 years. Purina invented kibble in 1956 and is the first brand to use meat as the first ingredient in dry dog food. They make a vast range of dog food considering the different needs of dogs. They have high-quality meat protein and essential nutrients, which ensure complete nutrition for your dog’s proper growth.
Ingredients: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
In the USA, manufacturers need to mention all the ingredients present in dog food. The label lists all components in descending orders corresponding to their weight. The first few ingredients mentioned are what majorly constitute dog food.
The Eukanuba dog food contains several ingredients. But all of them are not that much important, considering the first few ingredients. The later ingredients are mostly vitamins and minerals to meet the daily criteria of a dog’s nutrition.
- Chicken: Chicken is the first ingredient mentioned in the Eukanuba ingredient list. It means an unprocessed chicken with water. While cooking, most of the water is lost, leaving behind a much less quantity. However, chicken is an excellent source of proteins.
- Chicken By-Product Meal: Chicken by-product meal is second on the ingredient list. These refer to leftover clean parts of chicken after removing all meat, which humans don’t consume. It can include the lungs, liver, blood, kidneys, and spleen. It has an excellent level of protein, even more than chicken meat. However, it is a controversial ingredient used in dog foods, as many people consider them slaughterhouse waste.
- Corn Meal: Cornmeal is made by grounding dried corn and then cooked to make dog food. Corn doesn’t have that much nutritional value as it is cheap. Cornmeal reduces the cost of making dog food and thus makes it affordable for dog owners.
- Wheat: Eukanuba uses wheat as filler in dog food as it is inexpensive. It provides some amount of plant-based protein and carbs. But, being a plant-based protein source, it doesn’t provide essential amino acids.
- Ground Grain Sorghum: Considering that it is much higher on the ingredient list of Eukanuba, it doesn’t have that high nutritional value. It has some protein, fiber, and carbs. Eukanuba dog food has sorghum as a filler ingredient in dog food. It is gluten-free and doesn’t cause insulin spikes like other grains. It is suitable for dogs with diabetes.
- Brewers Rice: Eukanuba has brewer’s rice as the main ingredient. These are the leftover small rice kernels separated from large grains of rice. They offer no nutritional value other than carbohydrates and may cause obesity in dogs.
- Beet Pulp: Beet pulp is the leftover fiber after removing all the sugar from beet. It adds bulk to dog stool, improving colon health. Eukanuba has beet pulp to improve a dog’s digestion.
- Chicken Fat: Chicken fat is the fatty acid that is a by-product of chicken meal production. It is high in omega-6 fatty acid, which provides several health benefits.
- Egg products: Egg products are dried eggs that are not suitable for human consumption. They are high in protein and are beneficial to dogs.
You might like to read: Best Dental Treats For Dogs With Bad Breath
Other Important Ingredients
The Eukanuba dog food contains several other essential ingredients that are less in amount but have high benefits.
- Fish Oil is high in omega-3 fatty acid, which is essential for brain development.
- Flaxseed Meal is a plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acid.
- Fructooligosaccharide is a sweetener that acts as a prebiotic.
- Brewer’s Yeast is rich in minerals required for a healthy dog.
Eukanuba has several vitamins and minerals to enhance the dog food quality. It has several controversial ingredients. However, it doesn’t contain any harmful component, which is known to cause adverse health issues.
Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan has different dog food available for puppies and adult dogs. They also have different food ranges according to the activity levels of dogs. With additional requirements, the composition of the ingredients change, but the main ingredients remain the same.
- Chicken: The Purina pro plan has chicken mentioned as its first ingredient. The chicken here refers to unprocessed raw chicken. It is high in moisture, which reduces during cooking. The actual amount of chicken in the Purina Pro Plan would be much less.
- Rice: The rice used in the Purina Pro Plan is a good source of carbohydrates. Dogs need carbohydrates for energy. The quality of rice will determine whether it is beneficial or not.
- Wheat: The Purina Pro Plan has wheat as its fourth ingredient. Wheat is a cheap ingredient that acts as a filler in dog food. It provides energy in the form of carbohydrates and has some amount of protein. However, it contains gluten, which can lead to several health issues in gluten-intolerant dogs.
- Poultry By-product Meal: Purina Pro Plan uses a poultry by-product meal with 70-80 percent of protein content. Poultry by-product meal is made from the left out parts of animals after the removal of meat. It is high in protein and healthy fats essential for dog growth.
- Soybean Meal: Soybean meal is the by-product of producing soybean oil. The Purina Pro Plan offers a high protein quantity with the help of soybean meals.
- Beef Fat: Purina Pro Plan has beef fat as one of the main ingredients. Beef fat or grease is obtained as a by-product while making a beef meal. It is a high-quality ingredient. It provides texture and taste to the dog food. Beef fat also provides heat, which is beneficial for a dog living in colder conditions.
- Corn Meal: Purina Pro Plan uses cornmeal as filler in making dog food. Even though cornmeal has protein and carbs in them, they are not beneficial to a dog. Since the protein is plant-based which means it won’t have any amino acid. But, cornmeal is inexpensive, which reduces the production cost and makes dog food affordable.
Other Important Ingredients
The ingredient list of a Purina Pro Plan Is extensive, with several essential vitamins and minerals. Some ingredients are lower in the list but have great benefits.
- Dried egg products are dehydrated shell-free eggs that offer high protein content.
- Fish Meal is the by-product of rendering fish. It is a high source of omega-3 fatty acids and protein. It is incredibly beneficial for a dog’s health.
The Purina Pro Plan has a better ingredient list than Eukanuba, with less controversial ingredients. Other than all required vitamins, it also uses the chelated form of minerals. It combines minerals with amino acids, which make them ‘complexes’ and easy to absorb.
You might like to read: The Best Canned Foods for your Dog in the Market Right Now
Nutritional Composition: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
All dog food manufacturers provide a guaranteed analysis of nutritional composition on the food level. The analysis must mention the minimum percentage of crude fat and protein and the maximum percentage of crude fiber and moisture. Crude here refers to a specific method to test the product.
Dogs require a total of 21 amino acids, ten of which they cannot make on their own. Protein is the source of these essential amino acids. The amino acids act as building blocks of muscles. Eukanuba has 23.0% of crude protein (min), while Purina Pro Plan has 29.0% of crude protein. It has more protein than Eukanuba.
Fats are a high source of energy that supplies essential fatty acids. Fatty acids are vital for the healthy skin and coat of your dog. They are necessary for maintaining cell structure. Fats are also known to enhance the taste of dog food. Eukanuba has 13.0% of crude fat (min), and Purina Pro Plan has 18.0% of Crude Fat (Min).
The fiber in dog food is not essential but has many benefits if included in the right amounts. It helps in managing blood sugar levels and slows down the absorption of nutrients. It facilitates proper digestion and improves colon health. Eukanuba has 3.9% crude fiber (max), and Purina Pro Plan has 6.0% crude fiber (Max).
You might like to read: Top 5 Best Low Protein Dog Foods of 2020
Other Essential Nutrients: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
Moisture (max) 10.0%
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min) 0.01%
Vitamin E (min) 154 IU/kg
Glucosamine (min) 368 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate (min) 8 mg/kg
Purina Pro Plan
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Min) 1.6%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 460 IU/kg
Glucosamine (Min) 400 mg/kg
Glutamine (Min) 0.6%
Omega 6 Fatty Acids (Min) 1.5%
Range Offered: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
Every dog is different and has unique dietary needs. With different breeds and different sizes, the diets of dogs vary extensively. Even in a single breed, the age of a dog is the determining factor in its diet. Other than their breed and age, allergies to certain ingredients also play an essential role in selecting proper food for your dog.
The Eukanuba offers many dog foods for different energy levels, breeds, and dogs’ age. They also offer a weight management range and exceptional dog food for pregnant or nursing pets. But you won’t be able to find Eukanuba dog food if your dog is allergic to gluten or other ingredients.
Purina Pro Plan offers an extensive range of dog food to ensure a proper diet according to a dog’s needs. They have a wide selection of dog food for different breeds, low calorie, low fat, sensitive digestion, and weight management. If your dog is allergic to certain food items, the Purina Pro Plan has a specific hypoallergenic range, which is more likely to suit your dog.
You might like to read: Best Nutritious Dog Food for Boxers in 2020
Highest Selling Range: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
Eukanuba Senior Small Breed
Senior dogs require special care and nutrition for living a healthy life. This Eukanuba senior small breed offers your older dog sufficient energy. It comes with high-quality chicken protein and 50% more glucosamine for healthy joints. It reduces tartar build-up to keep their teeth healthy. This dog food has high antioxidants, which improve an older dog’s immunity system.
- FOR SENIOR SMALL BREED DOGS: Eukanuba Senior Small Breed Dry Dog Food is complete and balanced nutrition for senior dogs over 7 years old weighing up to 23 lb
- MUSCLE & JOINT SUPPORT: Chondroitin sulfate and 50% more glucosamine (vs. Eukanuba Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food) help keep joints mobile and supports lean muscles in active seniors
- HEALTHY BRAIN FUNCTION: DHA and antioxidants support healthy brain function in senior dogs
- SUPPORTS SENIOR DOGS: Optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates fuel your active senior dog’s daily activity levels
- MAINTAINS NATURAL DEFENSES: Guaranteed antioxidant levels for older dogs help maintain your small dog breed’s natural defenses
Eukanuba Adult Large Breed
Large dogs have an accelerated growth rate and require a special low-calorie diet. This Eukanuba adult large breed offers your large dog balanced nutrition with all the essential nutrients and lower calories. It has lamb protein with glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, which provide your dog with lean muscles and healthy joints to support its body weight.
- COMPLETE AND BALANCED: Eukanuba Adult Lamb 1st Ingredient Dry Dog Food is complete and balanced nutrition for large breed dogs over 15 months old and weighing over 55 lb
- MUSCLE & JOINT SUPPORT: A combination of animal protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate promotes lean muscle development and joint health in active adult dogs
- HEALTHY BRAIN FUNCTION: DHA and vitamin E support healthy brain function and help keep dogs sharp
- SUPPORTS ACTIVE DOGS: Optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates fuel an active lifestyle
- HIGH-QUALITY PROTEIN: High-quality lamb is the first ingredient for protein that powers their day
Purina Pro Plan Sport
The Purina Pro Plan is a high-calorie high protein dog food designed for active dogs. It has a 30/20 formula with 30% of protein and 20% of fat to help your dog’s increased metabolic needs. Amino acids present in Purina Pro Plan sport help build muscles after an exercise. Antioxidants help improve your champion dog’s immunity.
- One (1) 37.5 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Calorie, High Protein Dry Dog Food, SPORT 30/20 Chicken and Rice Formula
- Features real chicken as the no.1 ingredient
- Contains 30% protein and 20% fat to help fuel metabolic needs and maintain lean muscle
- Amino acids help nourish muscles, including during the crucial time immediately following exercise
- SPORT Performance 30/20 Formula has a new look and product name coming soon. May receive either bag during the transition
Purina Pro Plan Development
Puppies would need an abundance of energy and nutrition while growing. This Purina Pro Plan development provides high-quality protein for healthy growth and development to your dog. The probiotics and antioxidants help with digestion and strong immunity. The DHA present in the dog food aids in developing brain and vision while omega-3 helps in healthy skin and coat.
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Brand Large Breed Dry Puppy Food, Chicken and Rice Formula
- Made with high-quality protein, including real chicken
- Natural sources of glucosamine help support his developing joints and cartilage
- DHA from fish oil helps to nourish brain and vision development
- FOCUS Chicken and Rice formula has a new look and product name coming soon. May receive either bag during the transition.
The Verdict: Eukanuba Vs Purina Pro Plan
Both the Eukanuba and Purina Pro Plan are excellent dog food options with their price point. They both have high-quality proteins and other essential ingredients. While choosing any one of these, you need to consider your dog’s requirements. Purina Pro Plan offers a slight better ingredient list than Eukanuba,
If your dog is gluten allergenic or has some other sensitivity, then the Purina Pro Plan is a better option. They offer a unique range of hypoallergenic dog food to suit sensitive dog’s needs.
If you have budget restraint, you can choose Eukanuba. Eukanuba dog foods are slightly cheaper than the Purina Pro Plan and offer almost similar protein and other nutrients.