In this article, we will address a common question from many dog owners my dog barks at me when I try to sit on the couch, what should I do about it?
First of all, stop questioning yourself whether your dog loves you or not. This behavior doesn’t mean that your dog does not trust you or love you.
It is a natural canine instinct that comes into play when they feel that their turf is being encroached on. The behavior can also result from poor or no training. In this article, we will talk about what you can do if your dog shows such kinds of aggressive behavior near the couch.
Why Does Your Dog Behave In This Way?
It is the instinct of a canine to take a high spot to watch its territory. When you try to sit on the couch, he starts barking to claim its spot. In this case, the couch becomes the high spot, and your house is its territory.
Another possible reason is that your dog might be trying to seek your attention. After a long day at work, you might return home and go straight to relaxing on the couch. Perhaps your energetic dog feels neglected by your behavior, so it tries to grab your attention by barking at you.
If you don’t feel like spending time with your dog, it is best to ignore it. In this case, if you snuggle for a bit with your dog, the barking will stop. Your dog has got its share of cuddles, and it will mind its own business.
It would be best to find the real cause behind the barking and act accordingly. If your dog is only being mean after you occupy its favorite couch, try ignoring or rebuking your dog. If it is needy barking, you will see that in its body language.
Ways To Stop Your Dog’s Barking
- Make a good spot for your dog to sleep if your dog is protective of the couch.
- Give your dog some chewing toys as they are great stress relievers.
- Make sure to give your dog some attention after coming home from work.
- Reward your dog when it is being nice and calm around the house.
- You can put your dog through behavioral training if it acts too aggressively.
- Never yield to your dog’s irritating behavior; it will encourage the act.
What Does it Mean When a Dog Barks at You For No Reason?
People have a misconception that their dogs bark for no reason. There are no unnecessary barks; you just don’t understand the reason behind them. The reasons may vary from getting your attention to alerting you about something you haven’t seen.
Have patience and try to understand the reason behind the barking. If, after scrutiny, you find out that nothing is alarming, your dog might be having behavioral issues. It would be best if you act immediately before your dog’s behavior get more erratic.
There is another thing that your dog might think. Suppose you tend to give your dog treats or toys to soothe it when it barks. Your dog will think that you want to encourage this behavior, and you will reward it when it barks for some time.
Your dog can bark out of boredom also. If you have a busy schedule and fail to take your dog for a walk, it may act like this. Your dog is only expressing its emotions through barking, and it is your part to figure that out.
There are a few things for you to do if your dog barks for no reason:-
- It would be best not to encourage the behavior by giving toys and treats.
- Follow a regular outing and playing routine for your dog.
- If your dog is acting too crazy, get professional trainers’ help.
- Spend some time with your dog if you come home after a long duration.
- Keep a proper feeding routine for your dog.
- Check for any skin irritation or injury on your dog’s body.
After following these steps, we hope that your dog will calm down and improve its behavior. The dog is an emotional animal, and you need to understand its emotions. Try to give your dog ample attention and love; most of the time, only this can solve the problem.
Why Does My Dog Just Sit And Bark At Me?
Most of the time, the barking is not hostile. It is more like a quest for your attention. Your dog might need a pat on the head and some kisses. Dogs are from the Canidae family, which means they descend from wolves.
You might know how much wolves love to live in a pack. For your dog, you and your family are its pack. Dogs will demand your attention like they do if they lived in the wild. You can show your dog some attention, and it will not bark afterward.
Another reason for the barking can be a danger. Your dog might have sensed something or heard a noise, and now he might be trying to warn you. Remember, a dog’s hearing is much stronger than a human’s. You should get up and see if your dog starts to go away to the suspected site.
Last but not least, his barking can also mean your dog needs to go potty or it is hungry.
These are some of the basic reasons for your dog’s uninvited barking. If your dog has serious barking issues, you should consult a trainer. Here are a few more things for you to do to ease your dog’s barking:
- You can tell your dog to stay quiet and see if he stops barking.
- You can try giving your dog some chewing toy to release his energy.
- Learn to decipher the body language of your dog to predict the behavior
- Look for any rashes or infections that are making your dog irritated.
- Regularly take your dog for walks and spend time with it.
Why Does My Dog Attack Me On The Couch?
This behavior of your dog originates from its instincts. In nature, animals are known to protect their food, shelter, and territory. Your couch is a safe haven for your dog where it feels at home. Once you try to sit on the couch, your dog feels you are taking his turf.
This feeling will generate aggressive behavior in your dog, and it can attack you. The instinct varies according to your dog’s personality and breed. Small breeds like Chihuahua and Pomeranian are more aggressive towards their personal space.
But, this behavior can also be seen in large dogs. The dogs try to communicate through their body language. When you ignore the body language of your dog, the problem arises. One more theory is that dogs like to sit in high locations to watch over their territory.
If your dog has guarding instincts, you will see it get possessive over the couch. Your dog will try to show its dominance and scare you off. But, it would be best if you did not get mad over this behavior; think of it as an instinct of an animal.
Here are a few steps for you to for controlling the aggressive behavior of your dog:-
- Don’t let your dog assert its dominance, show it that you are still the Alpha.
- Don’t let your dog climb on the couch; put some stuff on it if you are away.
- Give your dog good training to follow your hand.
- Let your dog play with chewing toys to release its stress.
- Never show any forced behavior towards your dog; it will only worsen the problem.
- If your dog is sleeping on the couch, don’t disturb it. As the dog wakes up, you can ask it to leave the couch. Sleep disturbance can also trigger aggressive behavior in dogs.
Why Does My Dog Cry When I Am On The Couch?
A dog’s whining can mean a lot of things. The reasons for whining may range from seeking attention to communicating some discomfort. You have to look closely at your dog’s body language to find out the real cause behind whining.
Your dog can also communicate its boredom and excitement through whining. You should pay attention to your dog’s whining as it is a serious indicator. Dogs usually don’t whine at you without any reason. Your dog may be trying to get your attention for something that is stressing it.
When your dog sees you sitting on the couch, it might try to grab your attention. It is a simple technique to get noticed by you. Here are a few things to stop the whining when you are sitting on the couch:
- Pay good attention to your dog as it might be under stress.
- Approach the dog slowly to see if he is injured or something. Your dog can get aggressive if you approach it forcibly.
- Try to find out the source if your dog looks fearful.
- Sometimes whining can be for a potty break; understand the body language.
- Ignore the whining if you are sure it is for no reason. Your dog will get silent itself.
A Few Final Words
Your dog talks to you through its body language, howls, barks, and many other ways. You need to learn to read all these ways of communication.
Your dog can become aggressive due to its instinct or discomfort. It would be best to try not to act with aggression towards your dog and understand the cause.
Your dog loves you; if it shows any particular signs of aggression, try to find the reason behind it. Do not act on your instincts, be objective when dealing with your dog.
We hope this article would have answered all your queries regarding your dog’s barks and whines when you sit down on your couch to relax for the evening! If you still have unanswered queries, feel free to drop us a word in the comments section and we will get back to you with the appropriate answers.
If you liked the article, please share it with other dog owners who might be facing a similar problem with their dogs!