Nobody likes refrigerated cold food, and our furry friends are no different. But can you warm up wet dog food? Will it cause any adverse reaction or change in nutrients? Let us find out.
Table of Contents
Many dog owners want to serve their dogs’ canned products at room temperature. You can warm up wet dog food in a microwave or other ways so that it quickly reaches that temperature.
In this article, we further discuss information and answers about heating wet dog food, whether it is safe, and some good methods to do it.
Can You Warm Up Wet Dog Food?
Yes, you can warm up wet food for your dog. It is safe.
Dog food companies suggest giving food at room temperature, but a can of refrigerated dog food may take even upto an hour to come up to this temperature.
Therefore, an easier option for dog owners is to quickly heat up the can in a microwave or place it in warm water for a few minutes.
Dog food companies such as Purina suggest that microwaving for a few seconds is perfectly safe. However, you should not serve your dog too cold or too hot food.
The warmed dog food is safe for your dog; heating wet dog food helps enhance its taste and smell. Your dog probably likes canned food at room temperature or slightly above.
Why Should You Heat Canned Dog Food?
Dog food companies suggest it is best to treat your pup with food at room temperature.
Heating canned foods have many benefits for dogs, but it increases the dog owners’ effort. You should heat your dog’s canned food because:
- As already mentioned, dog food companies suggest giving food at room temperature
- It helps prevent conditions like tooth sensitivity and an upset stomach. You should evenly heat your dog’s wet food to stop the recurrence of stomach upsets in them.
- Heating frozen or wet dog food can make it more palatable. It is perfect for small pups and older dogs as it helps make canned food soft and easier to chew for them.
- Heating canned foods enhance their flavor and smell that helps increase the appetite of your dog. Some dogs are picky-eater; they will not eat any food they don’t like. The aroma of warm food is fascinating for every dog.
Adequately warm canned food indeed is more enjoyable than cold food for your canine friend. You should make your dog happy by serving them warm food; seeing your dog happy will make you pleased.
Can You Microwave Wet Dog Food?
Yes microwaving is perfectly safe.
You can microwave wet dog food. In fact, microwaving wet food helps retain nutrients and is better than cooked food.
At the same time, microwaves make wet dog food aroma and flavor more enhancing for dogs. You can microwave wet dog foods if your dog is a picky eater as it helps your dog finish its meal. As already stated, dog food companies such as Purina suggest that microwaving for a few seconds is perfectly safe.
How Can You Heat Up Wet Dog Food?
Microwave or put it in warm water.
Wet dog food is nutritious, and heating them makes it more pleasing for your dog to eat. You can use several ways to heat wet dog food, including:
- Use a microwave to heat wet dog food for a few minutes.
- You can pour the wet dog food into a polythene bag and dip it in warm water for a few minutes.
- You can use a double boiler to warm the wet dog food.
- You can leave wet dog food on the surface of the container you are heating.
You should heat wet dog food as it is safe, and your pup will enjoy eating it.
How To Use Double Boiler To Heat Wet Dog Foods
Many people avoid microwaving wet dog food and go for a safer option, a double boiler to heat it. It is a kitchen utensil consisting of two cooking pots or pans that you can use to heat the packed food products. You should follow these instructions to heat wet dog foods in a double boiler:
- Fill the bottom pot of the double boiler with water in a small amount of 1 to 2 inches.
- Add the top pot, including wet dog foods.
- Turn on the burner after placing the double boiler on the stove.
- Wait for it to get heated for a few minutes and once the wet dog food is gently warm, turn off the burner.
- Serve the warm wet dog food to your dog. If wet dog food is too hot, wait for it to get cooled.
How Can You Use a Polythene Bag to Warm Dog Food?
You can use a polythene bag and hot water to heat wet dog food by following these steps:
- Pour some amount of water into a pot and heat it on the burner.
- Place the wet dog food in a polythene bag and tie it tightly to ensure it’s completely airtight. Carefully put it in the heated water, don’t throw it in boiling water as it can splash and cause burns.
- Warm up the bag for a few seconds. Serve the wet dog food after removing it from the polythene bag.
Answers to Other Questions about Feeding Your Dog
Do Dogs Like Their Food Warm or Cold?
Dogs can eat both warm and cold food. But in general, warm food is better to feed your dog. As per AKC, nearly a quarter of American dog owners regularly warm their dog’s wet food.
You should warm up food for your dog as it improves its aroma flavor and makes it easier for your dog to digest. Secondly, dog food is best served at room temperature. Warming wet dog food using various methods can make food more appealing for your canine friend to dig in.
Can Dogs Eat Cold Food?
If the weather is hot, it should be ok, but don’t serve cold raw food without cooking.
It depends on the food and weather. Dogs can eat cold canned food; however raw cold food like meat is not safe for dogs to consume due to the presence of bacteria and parasites such as Salmonella and E. Coli. Dogs may also want to eat something cold on a hot summer day.
However, dogs like to eat warm food as it tastes and smells better. A better option to serve cold food is that you keep it at the kitchen counter at suitable room temperature before serving it to your dog. You can also warm up a little bit before feeding wet dog food to your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Scrambled Eggs?
Yes, you can feed your dog cooked eggs in any form, including scrambled, boiled, or sunny-side-up.
Eggs are a great source of protein, but they should be offered as an occasional treat since they have a high-fat content. Secondly, you should not give raw eggs to your dog.
A Few Final Words
Heating wet dog food may be a small task for you, but for your dog, it will mean a lot. You can heat the food using a number of ways, including heating with a microwave, double boiler, and polythene bag. Heating canned food can improve its smell and flavor, making it pleasant for your dog.
Thank you for going through the article, we hope it has answered most of your queries about heating dog food. If we missed something, please do write to us.
We have also written several articles about dog food, and what is not safe for dogs to eat. To clarify your doubts about things like rawhide, smoked turkey necks, A1 sauce, and others, please do read our other articles!