Yogurt is delicious, raisins are yum for humans. But can dogs have yogurt covered raisins? No, they cannot, find out the reason why in the article below!
Being a pet owner, you must be skeptical about which food item is right or wrong for your dog. Like humans, dogs also love to have raisins. But it is essential to know whether raisins are the right snack option for your dog or not.
You must have seen or bought raisins covered with yogurt in the market, and if you have tried it, they are delicious. But can you give this delicious treat to your dog? The answer is no: raisins are extremely toxic to your dogs.
In this article, we will talk about:
- Can dogs eat raisins?
- Can we feed Yogurt to our dog?
- What is raisin poisoning?
Can a dog eat raisins?
No, raisins and grapes are extremely poisonous for dogs.
Raisins may seem harmless and healthy for a dog. But in reality, you should not feed your dog raisins. If raisins are good for humans, it does not mean that it is suitable for your dogs.
If your dog eats raisins, it could lead to many problems.
Raisins are toxic to dogs, whether covered with Yogurt or any other food item. You should avoid feeding your dog raisins; raisin toxicity can lead to significant health issues like kidney failure, which can even lead to death.
Raisins are just dried and dehydrated grapes. Grapes contain substances that are toxic for dogs. So you should not feed your dog either grapes or raisins. Raisins do not provide any nutritional value to dogs; it is always better to get dog-safe food items for your dog.
If the dog eats a large amount, it may lead to raisin poisoning.
What is Raisin Poisoning?
Raisins have toxic substances in them which are poisonous for dogs. Even a single raisin can also be harmful to dogs.
Many vets have seen various emergency cases after a dog consumes a single raisin, but in some cases, even a good amount of raisins do not cause any symptoms. Regardless, there is no point in putting your dog’s life at risk.
Raisin Poisoning is a serious health issue that could lead to acute kidney failure and death.
Symptoms of Raisin Poisoning
Usually, the immediate symptom of raisin poisoning is vomiting; you may see this symptom after a few hours of consuming raisin. Here are a few signs of raisin poisoning:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Bad breath
- Lack of urination
- Breathing problem
- Weight loss
Can we feed Yogurt to dogs?
Yes, yogurt is a safe food item for dogs, but make sure it does not have artificial sweeteners added to it.
Yogurt is a probiotic, safe option for dogs. It is beneficial for the digestive system. If you want to feed your dog yogurt, ensure it is plain and does not have any additional sweeteners or additives. Any sweetener is unhealthy for dogs, as some contain xylitol, which is harmful to dogs; even sugar is not the right option for dogs.
Although, some experts even say that Yogurt is full of lactose that might not suit some breeds or canines. So it is always recommended to offer a limited amount of Yogurt to your dog.
Along with that, just like other dairy content, yogurt also has fat content, so it is always better to serve small quantities of Yogurt to dogs to avoid weight gain and other related problems.
Can a single raisin kill a dog?
Yes, even a single one.
Unfortunately, even a single raisin is harmful to certain breeds of dogs. Ingesting this dry fruit can be fatal for dogs, leading to kidney failure.
There is no correlation between the dog size and the number of raisins they take while determining the side effects of taking raisins, so it is always better to avoid giving your dogs raisins.
How soon after taking raisin will a dog get sick?
You will see the first symptoms within 24 hours.
The early symptom of raisin poisoning is vomiting; you may see your dog is vomiting regularly after 24 hours of eating a raisin.
After 24 hours, you may notice your dog is lethargic or not eating anything. However, severe symptoms are not noticeable within 24 to 48 hours until they affect the kidneys.
Can I feed my dog’s Yogurt-covered raisins?
As stated earlier, no.
It is not a good idea to feed your dogs raisins, no matter whether they are covered with Yogurt or any other sweeteners. Even though yogurt is not harmful to dogs, if it is given with raisins, it leads to detrimental effects on the dog’s body.
It is never recommended to feed any raisins to your pup. If you are still willing to feed Yogurt covered raisins to your dog, feed-in lower quantities and do not use sweetened Yogurt.
Answers to more questions about raisins and dogs
Do Yogurt covered raisins have pure Yogurt?
No, its yogurt powder mixed with preservatives, salt, sugar, and a lot of other things.
Yogurt used to cover raisins is typically not pure yogurt. People only use a small amount of yogurt powder and various other ingredients like sugar, palm kernel oil, and more additives that are not safe for dogs’ health. Even Yogurt used to cover raisins contain extra salt, which is harmful to dogs.
How long after eating raisins will a dog get sick?
Within the first 24 hours.
The most common and early symptom of eating raisins is vomiting, which is usually noticeable within 24 hours. Many other symptoms like diarrhea, lack of appetite, and fatigue are also common symptoms of eating raisins which are seen in 12 to 24 hours.
What to do If my dog ate raisins?
Immediately talk to your vet or poison control.
If you realize your dog ate raisins, immediately talk to animal poison control or your vet. They will instruct you on first aid. Do not try to induce vomiting without first talking to your vet, especially if the dog is exhibiting signs of distress or is having trouble breathing.
Will two raisins hurt my dog?
Yes, even two raisins can hurt your dog
Never feed your dog raisins. Raisins can cause toxicity to the digestive system of dogs, which could also lead to acute kidney failure. Even a single raisin can hurt certain breeds of dogs. Never feed young or adult dogs raisins with healthy conditions, even as a treat.
A Few Final Words
Raisins, no matter what, are toxic for dogs. When it comes to feeding your dog’s Yogurt-covered raisins, it is not at all recommended. The raisins are toxic for your dog, and even the yogurt itself is not good.
The Yogurt used to cover raisins is not a yogurt; they only have a small powder of Yogurt and other ingredients that are harmful to dogs’ health.
Thank you for reading thus far, we hope you have your answers. If you have more questions, feel free to write a comment and we will get back to you.