Pet parents are always fretting about what treats to give their fur babies. For example: can dogs eat Tootsie Rolls? Does it have any chocolate in it, and if so, is it dangerous for my pup? Let’s find out in the article below.
Table of Contents
Tootsie rolls are a tasty candy that are very popular among children in the US. However, as a pet parent, we always need to know about the nutritional value of any food item and whether we can feed it to our dogs or not.
Many people think that Tootsie Rolls are made with chocolate. As most pet parents know, chocolate is toxic for dogs. However, while Tootsie rolls have a chocolaty flavor; they contain only a trace amount of chocolate. Thus these candies aren’t toxic for dogs.
In this article, we will talk about whether your dog can consume tootsie rolls or not. We will help you understand what happens if you give these candies to your dog in excess.
Read on to know more about it.
What Are The Ingredients Of A Tootsie Roll?
Tootsie rolls have evolved over the years and the version that you buy in the market now in the US contains only the following things:
- Palm oil,
- Corn syrup, Condensed skim milk,
- Soy lecithin,
- Natural and artificial flavors
Notice that there is absolutely no chocolate in it. That means that your favorite Tootsie rolls are not toxic to dogs.
Here is a nutritional breakup of Tootsie Rolls (33g serving):
- Calories: 120
- Total Fat 2.5g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Sodium 10mg
- Total Carbs 23g
- Total Sugars 17g
- Of which added sugars 16g
- Total Sugars 17g
- Proteins 0g
As you can see, Tootsie rolls are essentially just sugar when you think about nutritional terms.
Are Tootsie Rolls Toxic For Your Dog?
When people think of feeding tootsie rolls to the dog, it comes into their mind that it has a high amount of chocolate. These rolls come in multiple options; however, chocolate is one of the widely preferred options.
Chocolate is toxic for dogs since it contains theobromine, an element present in chocolate that slows their digestion. This indicates that the flavored chocolate rolls are not suitable for them.
However, the chocolate content of these rolls is in a very trace amount that you don’t need to bother about. Tootsie rolls don’t consist of a large amount of chocolate that won’t result in a toxic effect on your dog.
Even a young puppy won’t suffer from a problem until and unless he consumes many Tootsie Rolls. He may suffer from chocolate poisoning if he consumes a bag full of tootsie rolls.
They May Not Be Toxic, But Are Tootsie Rolls Harmful For Your Dog?
Your dog won’t suffer from issues after eating these rolls until and unless your dog is diabetic or obese. The chocolate content is minimal; however, sugar is one element that can affect your dog’s health. It can result in unfavorable circumstances if your dog is diabetic or obese.
Things can be bad to worse if your dog is already suffering from any health ailments. He may suffer from seizures and an upset stomach after eating these candies. If your dog consumes many tootsie rolls, it may not suffer from chocolate toxicity. However, they may suffer from vomiting and diarrhea.
Keep a look if your dog suffers from any signs and symptoms of side effects. They may become lethargic and act lazy from getting up from the couch. If they go through it, you need to visit the vet after some time.
What Happens If My Dog Eats A Tootsie Roll Or Pop?
Dogs’ health is always a matter of interest for the pet owners as their animal companions can fall sick if they consume anything which should not be included in the diet. You always get confused about how you should react to a particular thing when they fall sick.
Another issue is that they cannot convey their problems directly to you. So, you must research whether your dog can eat a tootsie roll or pop? This depends upon the condition of how they react after eating the candy. Many dogs don’t suffer from side effects and act normally.
What To Do When Your Dog Eats A Tootsie Roll?
Did your dog consume tootsie rolls in your absence? You do not need to worry much about it, even if something like that occurs.
When you understand that your dog has consumed these candies in your absence, you may notice and realize that they are completely fit and fine. They may crave your attention because they know they have done something wrong.
All that you need to do is notice and monitor your dog’s symptoms. Do the activities that your dog loves to do or wants to play. Feed them some healthy food and water and let them sleep or relax for a certain period.
Pay attention that your dog shows different behavior or chocolate toxicity. If they do not depict any strange behavior or symptom, they are fine. Make sure you watch them closely for 8-12 hours.
What to do if your dog is diabetic?
If your dog is diabetic, you need to visit the veterinarian immediately as the high amount of sugar present in the tootsie roll can shoot the diabetes levels of your dog. You must take your dog immediately to the veterinarian and get him treated as soon as possible.
What to do if your dog is suffering from diarrhea and vomiting.
If your dog suffers from diarrhea or vomiting, you need to visit the veterinarian shortly as it may result in dehydration. Sometimes a dog directly swallows the candy’s wrapper, and it may get stuck into his gastrointestinal tract.
This may land you in a difficult situation, and it may severely hamper your pet dog’s health condition. Make sure that you visit the vet quickly so that they can come up with the safest solution possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1. Can dogs eat tootsie rolls?
Yes, dogs can eat tootsie rolls; however, make sure you occasionally feed them to your dog as they are rich in fat and sugar content.
#2. Is there any chocolate in a Tootsie Roll?
Yes, chocolate is there in the tootsie roll. However, there is only a trace amount of chocolate so it cannot cause any major harm to your dog.
#3. What candy can dogs eat?
Candy corn, Skittles, sour candy, Jolly Ranchers, starburst, blow pups, and smarties are the candies that dogs can eat.
#4. Can dogs eat Kit Kats?
There is a very trace amount of chocolate present in the kit kat bar, which doesn’t lead to any toxic issues for the dog.
#5. What foods are toxic to dogs?
There are several foods which are nutritious for us but for dogs they can be very toxic, such as:
Onion, garlic, chives
Corn on the cob
A Few Final Words
Health plays a significant role for the dogs and is a major factor of concern for pet parents. Dog owners must research well and consult the vet before feeding any sugary candy to the dogs as it may affect them adversely.
We have mentioned about tootsie rolls, why they are not toxic to dogs, but can still be harmful for them. Please go through the article to understand whether this candy can be fed to the dogs or not.
Thank you for reading, we hope this answered your queries. You can also ask us more questions about tootsie rolls and other candies. If you are worried about what candies you can feed your dog, you should also read: Can Dogs Eat SweeTarts?, Can Dogs Eat Reese’s Pieces? And Can Dogs Eat Coco Puffs?