Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems?

Did you buy grapes from the market and are contemplating giving some to your dog? Can dogs eat grape stems? Don’t do anything before reading this article!

Fruits and vegetables are an essential part of dogs’ daily meals. They not only keep them healthy but also offer them a daily dose of nutrients.

You can give your dog almost all the fruits and vegetables, but some of them can be hazardous for their health. Amongst an array of fruits that are harmful to dogs, grapes stand in the top position, and the same goes for grape stems.  

Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems

Watching your dog jump for every grape you toss towards it can be fascinating. But grapes and their parts are considered to be very toxic for dogs. If not treated on time, you might end up losing your dog. Let’s dig deeper into the matter and learn the other aspects of the same.

Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems?

No, grape stems are equally toxic to dogs.

As a matter of fact, dogs must not eat grape stems at all. It may cause kidney failure and leave them vulnerable if left untreated for a long time. 

If the dogs eat a lot of stems, it can upset their stomach, leading to vomiting and diarrhea. But if your dog has just chewed on them, then there is nothing to worry about. 

In fact, grapes, raisins, grapevines, stems, and leaves are all poisonous to dogs. Some dogs might not show very adverse effects, while some can really fall very ill after consuming them. Vomiting and diarrhea are the initial signs of grape vomiting, and a dog should be treated for the same as early as possible.

What part of the grape can be toxic to dogs?

It was a mystery why grapes were toxic for dogs for a long time. But recently, 3 APCC veterinarians discovered that tartaric acid present in grapes is the root cause of poison in dogs. 

They further concluded that if dogs ingest large amounts of grapes or grape stems, they can suffer from acute kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive thirst. 

Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems

How soon will a dog show signs of grape poisoning?

On average, within 24 hours, your dog may start showing signs of poisoning.

After you are sure that your dog has consumed a good amount of grapes or its stem, keep a close watch on him. The most common early symptom of poisoning is vomiting. 

Diarrhea, lethargies, and loss of appetite can also be seen in the next few hours. But the severe signs can only be seen after 24 to 48 hours of ingestion: excessive thirst, excessive urination, nausea, uremic breath (ammonia odor), and abdominal pain. Gradually, the kidney stops functioning, and the dog goes into a coma and later succumbs to death. 

How long does grape toxicity last in dogs?

If treated immediately, your dog may start showing signs of improvement within 1-2 hours. 

But this is when your dog has consumed a small number of grapes. If you are sure that your dog has consumed many grape stems or fruit, you should make your dog vomit instead of waiting for the vet. 

After this you can take your dog to the vet and start the medication. If things become serious, hospitalize your dog immediately. After proper medication and checkups, your dog will start showing signs of improvement within 24 hours.

Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems

Can Dogs Eat Grape Leaves?

Similar to grape stems, dogs must not consume grape leaves. Grape leaves are as harmful to dogs as grape stems; hence keep your dog away from your vineyard.

Grape leaves are a high source of tartaric acid. Tartaric acid is the strongest organic acid found in grapes. The acid is considered very poisonous for dogs and can kill them. If consumed in large quantities and left untreated for a long time, grape leaves can kill dogs.

Also, the grape leaves contain a compound called cyanide, which can be fatal for dogs. 

Can dogs eat cooked grape leaves?

Yes, dogs can eat cooked grape leaves but in small quantities. 

As discussed earlier, overconsumption may lead to an upset stomach or several other health issues. Instead, you can feed your dog lettuce if you are willing to feed him something green. 

Can Dogs Eat Pad Thai?

No, dogs should not eat Pad Thai because it contains spices, oils, and other ingredients not recommended for dogs. 

If your dog has consumed a small quantity of Pad Thai, nothing to worry about. The oil and spices present in the meal can upset their stomach, and you can expect some vomiting and diarrhea.

But if the quantity is very large, it can be a great concern. You must take the dog immediately to the vet and get it treated. Prolonging a vet visit might cost your dog its life. Hence the sooner you act, the better it is. 

Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems

Can I Give My Dog Benadryl And Melatonin At The Same Time?

Yes, there is no conflict in these two medicines.

Benadryl is given to dogs to treat itchiness due to skin allergies. On the other hand, melatonin is a sleep aid that helps your dog sleep peacefully throughout the night if it suffers from stress and anxiety. 

If your dog is taking a Benadryl dose, you can give it melatonin as well because, to date, there is no such study that proves that you must not give them together to your dog. However, it is advisable to consult the vet before doing the same.

Will Elderberry Gummies Hurt Dogs?

Elderberry gummies can be toxic to dogs.

Elderberry gummies are formulated for humans and not dogs. If your dog has consumed Elderberry gummies, it is better you contact your dog’s vet as early as possible. 

This is because elderberries contain cyanide glycosides and toxic alkaloids, which are considered toxic for dogs. If they consume an ample amount of these, they might suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, upset stomach, and in the worst-case scenario, organ failure or death. 

Can Dogs Eat Grape Stems

Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat?

Besides grapes, raisins, and Elderberry, your dog must also not consume fruits and veggies like avocado, onion, garlic, chocolate, macadamia nuts, peaches, plums, and persimmons. All these items are considered to be toxic for them.

A Few Final Words

Grapes and their parts are toxic for dogs, and they must never consume them. Sometimes even a single grape can prove to be fatal for them; hence it’s better you keep them away from your vineyard or kitchen. 

We thank you for reading this article and hope we were able to answer most of your queries. If there are others that you would like us to address, please write to us in the comments section below.

Here are some more foods that your dogs should not eat: honey roasted peanuts, gummy worms. Swedish fish, sardines in tomato sauce, and more! Continue exploring our sites and keep your dog safe!