We have reviewed the Best Cat Litter to Control Odor. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
It’s estimated that almost 78 million dogs and 85.8 million cats are owned in the United States.
While owning a pet is a source of pride and joy for several families, having to clean their feces and urine is not!
And worst of all, when they are done, the foul odor that spreads in the home can be overpowering! Thankfully, there are plenty of litters that specialize in controlling and eliminating these odors.
Let’s have a look at the best cat litters to control odor.
Our Top Choice PetSafe Cat Litter
The PetSafe ScoopFree Lavender Non Clumping Crystal Cat Litter, 2-Pack , One size is our top choice for Best Cat Litter to Control Odor, because this crystal litter is made with a soothing lavender scent that helps to hide the odor coming from the cat’s litter.
It is made from premium crystal which absorbs moisture for quickly removing odors, and it has pre-portioned bags which work amazingly with any traditional litter.
Some of its best features are:
- Light lavender scent litter is soothing for you and your cats.
- Premium crystal absorbs urine and dries solid waste for five times better odor control than traditional clumping clay litters.
- This litter is 99% dust-free, and its low-tracking crystals stay in the box and off floors.
- It features two pre-portioned bags to use with a traditional litter box and PetSafe’s own reusable litter tray.
- The litter bags last up to 30 days for a single cat.
- PetSafe is a globally renowned leading brand in pet behavior, control and lifestyle innovation equipment
Best Cat Litter to Control Odor
#1 PetSafe Cat Litter
This is the best odor-controlling litter in our lineup. It has a light lavender scent that is soothing for you and your cat, and it also aids in better controlling odor.
This crystal litter absorbs urine and dry solid waste five times better than traditional clay clumping litters. The two pre-portioned bags of this litter work correctly with traditional litter boxes and PetSafe’s own reusable litter tray.
Another great feature is that it is 99% dust-free and has very low tracking. These litter bags can last up to 30 days for a single cat.
- The lavender scented litter works amazingly well to control bad odor.
- The crystal based litter absorbs liquid, waste, and aids in 5 times better odor control than traditional clay based litters.
- It is 99% dust-free, making the air and home free of dust and cloud
- Pre-portioned bags are useful with reusable litter tray and boxes.
- Some users mentioned that it does not last long.
- Some were of the opinion that crystals don’t absorb liquid quickly, as compared to clay litters which are able to do the job faster.
#2 Fresh Step Cat Litter
Fresh Step cat litter is an unscented cat litter that has naturally activated charcoal. The natural charcoal helps to fight odor when it comes in contact with urine.
This unscented litter is made with clumping clay material that gives quick clumping. Moreover, the activated charcoal works for a 10-day odor control.
The litter is 99% dust-free, it creates little mess and low tracking. Further, it is free from any added fragrances that make it safe for your cats.
Clump lock technology binds the clumps tighter reducing the foul odor. Clumping clay is designed to make cleaning fast and easy.
- Activated charcoal aids in better odor control.
- This litter is free from added fragrances and works on a 10-day odor control formula.
- This clumping clay made litter is 99% dust-free, which helps in low tracking and easy cleaning.
- Clump lock technology helps in easy scooping and reduces stinky clumps.
- Litter leaves a crisp spring scent after cleaning.
- It does not clump as easily as advertised as per some users’ experience.
- Some cat owners did not like the texture of the litter.
You might also be interested to read: Top 5 Best Non-Clumping Cat Litters 2020
#3 Naturally Fresh Clumping Cat Litter
Naturally Fresh ultra odor control litter is made of walnut shells. It allows superior odor control and has a great absorption capacity, as natural walnut shell litter absorbs liquids three times faster than clay, pine, or corn based litters.
This odor controlling litter works with triple-action defense enzymes to stamp out urine or fecal odors. Its silica dust-free formula produces tight clumps in less than 15 minutes that helps in easy cleanup. This 99% dust-free litter lets your furry friends breathe easily and reduces tracking.
The quick clumping formula forms tight removable clumps when wet. The ultra odor control litter is made with 100 % natural walnuts and is unscented. Thus making it safe for your cats and your home.
- Ultra odor control litter is made with walnuts that allow superior odor control.
- This litter absorbs three times faster than clay or pine litters.
- Silica dust-free formula produces clumps in less than 15 minutes.
- This dust-free litter aids in low tracking and easy cleaning of your floors.
- Unscented litter made without harmful materials.
- Clumping formula helps in forming removable clumps.
- Few users find this litter a bit messy.
- Some users mentioned that it takes time to clean this litter.
#4 Petnf Flushable Cat Litter
This cat litter is 100% natural, made of edible grade corn, starch, and pea fiber with natural beans’ smell. This litter is adept at controlling bad odors because of its natural properties. It absorbs liquids in just 1.5 seconds not allowing the odor time to spread.
The litter has a quick clumping process as the fine particles ensure easy, non-sticky scooping with better cleaning. It is 99% dust-free litter for low tracking and less dust across your home. The particle’s diameter is 2mm, and their hardness is above 55N. They are fine enough to be flushed down the toilet once used.
Moreover, the starchy properties of this litter let it dissolve in water within 3 seconds. Its small particles make this liter suitable for cats of all ages.
- This cat litter comprises pea fiber and corn starch, making it natural odor-free litter.
- Fine particles help in quick clumping and easy scooping.
- It absorbs liquids in 1.5 seconds and effectively eliminates odor.
- This 99% dust free cat litter is easy to flush its particle diameter is 2mm.
- Starchy properties dissolve in water within 3 seconds.
- Biodegradable properties make it suitable for cats of all ages.
- Some users reviewed that the litter didn’t last long as compared to others.
- Few users mentioned that cleaning might take a bit of time.
You might also be interested to read: Best Cat Litter For Declawed Cats
#5 Arm & Hammer Cat Litter
The clumping litter works effectively in eliminating odor with the stuck-on mess in the litter box. It is made with naturally derived wood fibers, baking soda, and plant-based clumping agents for ideal odor control.
Its moisture activated micro granules form tight seals around waste to create hard clumps. They work on a 7-day odor control formula. As its clump technology seals and destroys odor quickly.
It is 100 % dust-free, which means that it forms no dust clouds and helps in less tracking. This revolutionary non-stick litter slides right into the toilet for easy cleaning. It does not stick to pans as its natural properties prevent future bacterial odors.
The litter is strong for multi-cat households because of its fresh-scented action formula.
- Naturally derived wood fibers, baking soda, and plant-based clumping material of this litter help eliminate odor.
- Clump technology seals odor quickly and works on a seven-day odor control formula.
- 100% dust-free litter prevents the forming of clouds.
- Litter doesn’t stick to the pan and slides right for easy cleaning.
- 50% lighter than other litters and prevent bacterial odors.
- The litter is strong for multi-cat households.
- The litter does have some stickiness as per some users’ experience.
- The odor of the litter itself was disconcerting for some users
#6 So Phresh Cat Litter
The So Phresh Cat Litter is a perfect odor-free litter as it is made with post-consumer paper. The baking soda and zeolite in this litter give outstanding odor control. It is a perfect odor free litter for your cats.
The clumping technology of this litter aids in quick clumping and works wonderfully in the elimination of odor. This litter is 99% dust-free, which helps in low tracking. Hard clumping helps to reduce the chances of bacterial growth.
- Ideal odor-free litter is made with post-consumer paper.
- 99% dust-free, which helps in low tracking.
- It is made with baking soda and zeolite that gives outstanding odor control.
- Baking soda effectively absorbs and traps odors.
- Clumping technology helps in quick clumping.
- It doesn’t control smell accurately as per the opinion of users.
- Some users mentioned that cleaning of this litter is not an easy task.
You might also be interested to read: Most Environmentally Friendly Cat Litter
#7 Fresh Step Cat Litter Crystals
While we are reviewing cat litters with odor control, there are products available that can convert your existing kitty litter into an odor absorbing one as well.
Our favorite odor absorbing cat litter additive is Fresh Step crystals. These blue crystals mix with your existing kitty litter and thoroughly deodorize it. These crystals are largely made of sodium chloride(98%), and have added fragrance (0.7%) and starch (1%), with a dash of coloring agent (0.1%)
The crystals are soluble in water, so they will naturally disintegrate over time as your cat pees over them, releasing a light fragrance all the time, keeping the litter pan and home odor free.
More importantly these crystals are completely non-toxic and pet friendly. They are available in two mild fragrances: Fresh Scent and Summer Breeze.
- Odor neutralizing crystals which can be added to any litter to make it odorless
- They come in two mild fragrances: Fresh Scent and Summer Breeze
- 100% non-toxic and non chemical. Completely safe for your pet. Composed largely of sodium chloride and a bit of fragrance and color
- The crystals are soluble in water, so they naturally dissolve over time and don’t need any cleaning
- The crystals get activated every time your cat steps in the litter
- Some users complained that the fresh scent odor does not last very long
- One user felt that the crystals did not work well with clumping action clay based litters, because they made the clumps remain wet and crumbly
Buyer’s Guide: Best Cat Litter to Control Odor
Extra Strength Odor Control Formula
Cat litters must contain an odor control formula for controlling odors. One must choose cat litters that absorb urine and dry waste quickly as these litters are helpful in better controlling odors.
Today litters are made with natural scented materials like Febreze, spring scent, and other natural scents. These scents give your cats a soothing odor and ensure better odor control in no time. So you should choose light scented litter for your cats.
Litters come in advanced formulas to neutralize odor without adding any harmful materials. One must choose those litters that help in better control of odors in little time. Certain litters are designed with ten days or seven days of odor control properties. These are a good choice for your cats as they are powerful enough to remove the odor for such a long time
Easy To Scoop:
What better than a litter that is easy to scoop. You should always choose those litters that give excellent clumping technology because they reduce stinky clumps, and make litter easy to scoop. Such litters are good in their working as clumping technology enables them to reduce smell as much as possible.
No Harsh Chemicals:
We want to choose the best litter for our kitty friends that gives them safety and better cleaning. Litters made of natural, environment- friendly and biodegradable materials are safe for your cats. While buying a litter, one must consider its ingredients or material. As the natural litters with dust-free technology and no harmful chemicals are best for your cats.
Frequently Asked Questions: Best Cat Litter to Control Odor
Does cat litter help get rid of the smell?
Yes, many cat litters help get rid of the smell as they are made with odor-eliminating ingredients. These litters control unpleasant odors and moisture. They help to lock in moisture that might be contributing to odor quickly and form tighter clumps that can later be disposed of without having to have smelled anything.
Does baking soda help cat litter smell?
Baking soda is a great natural deodorizer ingredient to remove bad smells from your cat litters. Baking soda is a non-toxic material, and mixing a small amount of it with the litter can do wonders as it helps to control moisture better and enables it to absorb pet urine odors. Moreover, people prefer those cat litters that are made of baking soda as it helps to lock bad smell and moisture in a better way.
Can you flush cat litter?
Although you can flush cat litter, it is not advisable as it may block your pipes and cause havoc in your plumbing. Flushing your cat litter adds to the solid waste in your drain pipes. Moreover, it is an unhygienic step to flush your cat litter.
While choosing a cat litter, the first thing that cat owners prefer is if it is odor-free and safe for your pets. Our cats dislike strong smells, and the scent can discourage them from using the box. So there are plenty of cat litter options in the market to choose from.
Odor-free litters use natural ingredients to absorb liquid and odors without clumping. There is a wide range of odor-free litters, including clumping litters, silica litters, walnut- shell litters, and various other litters. These litters contain antimicrobial agents, light scent formulas, and elements like febreeze for odor elimination. Such litters include mildly scented litters and absorb and neutralize the waste smell.
In this article, we have selected the best Best Cat Litter to Control Odor based on the features mentioned in our buyer’s guide and the ratings and comments mentioned by actual users on Amazon.
In our opinion, the PetSafe ScoopFree Lavender Non Clumping Crystal Cat Litter, 2-Pack , One size is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because it is ideal in controlling odor and rich in features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Fresh Step Advanced Simply Unscented Clumping Cat Litter, Recommended by Vets, 37 lbs Total 18.5 lb Box (Pack of 2), which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you already have a favorite brand of litter that you love, but only need a solution for the bad odor problem, you might also like to consider Fresh Step for Pets Cat Litter Crystals In Fresh Scent | Cat Litter Box Deodorizer, 15 Ounces. These are nice, mildly fragranced crystals that you can add to your existing crystals, they absorb quickly in the moisture and therefore are disposed of naturally. They are completely non toxic and pet friendly to boot.
Cat litter problems? We have you covered!
- Top 5 Best Non-Clumping Cat Litters 2020
- Best Cat Litter For Declawed Cats
- Best Cat Litter Without Dust
- Most Environmentally Friendly Cat Litter